ECS - Kindergarten
Kindergarten Registration 2021-22
Registration for the 2021-22 school year begins Monday, Feb. 1, 2021
Have you considered ECS French Immersion?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is French Immersion?
- The French Immersion Program provides students with fluency in speaking, reading, writing, listening and communicating in French by the end of Grade 12.
- French is the language of instruction, beginning in Kindergarten continuing to Grade 3 when English is introduced.
- Check out Alberta Education’s What do I want my child to achieve in French?
Why Should I Consider French Immersion for my Child?
Learning French offers students significant linguistic, academic and cognitive benefits:
- strengthens English literacy skills and listening skills;
- enhances problem-solving abilities;
- strengthens concentration, math, and the ability to filter out non-important information;
- provides students with more flexible, divergent, and creative thinking skills;
- delays dementia and Alzheimer’s disease later on in life;
- provides graduates with more choices for advanced education and career options;
- gives graduates a competitive edge in the job market anywhere;
- broadens students' cultural life through access to literature, art, music and theatre;
- helps students to better understand the history, development and government of their country;
- builds cultural awareness and empathy;
- increases a student's feeling of self-esteem and pride; and
- makes learning additional languages easier.
But, We Don’t Speak French at Home! How does that work?
- You are not alone. Most parents of French Immersion students do not speak French! In fact, it was non-French speaking parents who established French Immersion in the first place! Your child will do just fine whether or not you speak French at home.
- Check out Yes, You Can Help!
I Need More Information
If you would like more information on what French Immersion looks like at Ardrossan Elementary, contact Mme Helene Hewitt or Mme Kyla Harding to set up a time to meet. We are happy to answer any questions you might have.
- Handbook for French Immersion Kindergarten
- Canadian Parents For French
- Bilingual People Are Like Brain Bodybuilders
- How a Second Language Trains Your Brain for Math
- Bilingualism Delays Age at Onset of Dementia, Independent of Education and Immigration Status
- Bilingual Benefits: How Learning Another Language Keeps Your Mind Sharp No Matter Your Age
- How the Brain Benefits from Being Bilingual